This enables imports in mcl code, and is one of last remaining blockers
to using mgmt. Now we can start writing standalone modules, and adding
standard library functions as needed. There's still lots to do, but this
was a big missing piece. It was much harder to get right than I had
expected, but I think it's solid!
This unfortunately large commit is the result of some wild hacking I've
been doing for the past little while. It's the result of a rebase that
broke many "wip" commits that tracked my private progress, into
something that's not gratuitously messy for our git logs. Since this was
a learning and discovery process for me, I've "erased" the confusing git
history that wouldn't have helped. I'm happy to discuss the dead-ends,
and a small portion of that code was even left in for possible future
This patch includes:
* A change to the cli interface:
You now specify the front-end explicitly, instead of leaving it up to
the front-end to decide when to "activate". For example, instead of:
mgmt run --lang code.mcl
we now do:
mgmt run lang --lang code.mcl
We might rename the --lang flag in the future to avoid the awkward word
repetition. Suggestions welcome, but I'm considering "input". One
side-effect of this change, is that flags which are "engine" specific
now must be specified with "run" before the front-end name. Eg:
mgmt run --tmp-prefix lang --lang code.mcl
instead of putting --tmp-prefix at the end. We also changed the GAPI
slightly, but I've patched all code that used it. This also makes things
consistent with the "deploy" command.
* The deploys are more robust and let you deploy after a run
This has been vastly improved and let's mgmt really run as a smart
engine that can handle different workloads. If you don't want to deploy
when you've started with `run` or if one comes in, you can use the
--no-watch-deploy option to block new deploys.
* The import statement exists and works!
We now have a working `import` statement. Read the docs, and try it out.
I think it's quite elegant how it fits in with `SetScope`. Have a look.
As a result, we now have some built-in functions available in modules.
This also adds the metadata.yaml entry-point for all modules. Have a
look at the examples or the tests. The bulk of the patch is to support
* Improved lang input parsing code:
I re-wrote the parsing that determined what ran when we passed different
things to --lang. Deciding between running an mcl file or raw code is
now handled in a more intelligent, and re-usable way. See the inputs.go
file if you want to have a look. One casualty is that you can't stream
code from stdin *directly* to the front-end, it's encapsulated into a
deploy first. You can still use stdin though! I doubt anyone will notice
* The scope was extended to include functions and classes:
Go forth and import lovely code. All these exist in scopes now, and can
* Function calls actually use the scope now. Glad I got this sorted out.
* There is import cycle detection for modules!
Yes, this is another dag. I think that's #4. I guess they're useful.
* A ton of tests and new test infra was added!
This should make it much easier to add new tests that run mcl code. Have
a look at TestAstFunc1 to see how to add more of these.
As usual, I'll try to keep these commits smaller in the future!
While writing docs, I couldn't remember what the correct style was
supposed to be, and I remember someone complaining about this
previously, so I decided to add a linter! I excluded a bunch of annoying
style rules, but if we find more we can add those to the list too.
Hopefully this gives us a more consistent feel throughout.
This is an initial implementation of the mgmt language. It is a
declarative (immutable) functional, reactive, domain specific
programming language. It is intended to be a language that is:
* easy to reason about
With these properties, we hope this language, and the mgmt engine will
allow you to model the real-time systems that you'd like to automate.
This also includes a number of other associated changes. Sorry for the
large size of this patch.